24 September 2008

I refuse to be shamed by stones.

My Scripture reading has recently taken me to the book of Revelation. 

I love it. I soak in it. I rejoice in it. I long to see the hidden and deep meanings that have been pondered by many. I wish to hear it as John heard it. 

And this time reading through I was amazed by the fact that it seems God created certain "creatures" to give Him glory. I mean, that's their job. It's what they were created to do. They really don't "do" much of anything else. Hang around the throne and bow down and give honor and glory to God. 

And then I reached chapter 5 and read this:

And they sang a new song with these words:
“You are worthy to take the scroll
and break its seals and open it.
For you were killed, and your blood has ransomed people for God
from every tribe and language and people and nation.
And you have caused them to become God’s kingdom and his priests.
And they will reign on the earth.”
Then I looked again, and I heard the singing of thousands and millions of angels around the throne and the living beings and the elders. And they sang in a mighty chorus:
“The Lamb is worthy—the Lamb who was killed.
He is worthy to receive power and riches
and wisdom and strength
and honor and glory and blessing.”
And then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea. They also sang:
“Blessing and honor and glory and power
belong to the one sitting on the throne
and to the Lamb forever and ever.”
And the four living beings said, “Amen!” And the twenty-four elders fell down and worshiped God and the Lamb. 
Revelation 5:9-14

My heart soared! I want to be in that "crowd"! The privilege of ascribing greatness to the God of the universe. The Creator of everything. The God Who knows my name. The God Who knit me together in my mother's womb. The God Who knows my address. He sees where I live. He knows the thoughts and intents of my heart. He sees all my secret dreams and desires. He is my personal and intimate God. He knows all my strengths and weaknesses. And yet He loves me. He wants me in that crowd. He wants my praises. He wants me to live for His Glory. He wants me to know that it's all about Him.

Then the Spirit reminded me of another Scripture:

Then the crowds spread out their coats on the road ahead of Jesus. As they reached the place where the road started down from the Mount of Olives, all of his followers began to shout and sing as they walked along, praising God for all the wonderful miracles they had seen.
“Bless the King who comes in the name of the Lord!
Peace in heaven and glory in highest heaven!”
But some of the Pharisees among the crowd said, “Teacher, rebuke your followers for saying things like that!”
He replied, “If they kept quiet, the stones along the road would burst into cheers!”
Luke 19:36-40

I don't want to begin my praise to God on my first day in Heaven. I want it to be something I do constantly here on the earth so that on my first day in Heaven it's only a continuation of how I've lived my whole live up to that point. No new learning curves. No wondering why I hadn't done it before. Only the joy of doing it face-to-face. 

Today I am a God-follower. Today I am a wife and mother. Today my shoulder is in pain. Today I am uncertain of what tomorrow holds. Today I cannot see my future. Today I feel inadequate for the tasks I'm responsible to complete. 

These things do not change Who God is. He is still worthy of praise. He is still the God of Glory. He is a God of goodness and mercy and justice and love.

I'm not giving the stones a chance. I refuse to be shamed by stones.

Care to join me?

1 comment:

Mary Sue said...

Today I was challenged with this same thing - offering a sacrifice of Praise, because He hasn't changed! I may change and my moods may go haywire, but He remains His faithful self. Today, I am a college student who doesn't understand why some of her professors have to be so picky. Today I am a young woman who dreams of being so much more, yet is unsure of how to grasp it or articulate it. Today I am a young girl who desires to crawl up into her Father's lap, but isn't quite sure where the best climbing spot would be. His praise will lift me.

Thank-you - Today, you spoke what my heart wished to say, Carol.

Related Posts with Thumbnails